6.19.2011

redeem::plastic bags



the project: take some plastic bags and make them into something useful, pretty, or both.


caro: I fused the plastic bags together and then stitched up the sides and added a zipper to create pouches, these are handy for tossing a wet swimsuit into or to use as little make-up bags. I had some really great plastic bags to begin with, like the one from Continental - a hipster restaurant in downtown Philadelphia -  but I enjoyed creating graphic patterns out of the existing brand pieces on the bags from Shoppers, Giant and Dollar Tree. This project has me looking at plastic bags in a whole new way.


kate: well.  the reason this post is so late is because I learned something very basic about DIYs:: don't bite off more than you can chew.  I'd started collecting plastic bags months ago and had spent several afternoons cutting the bags into strips and braiding them.  but when it came to stitching them together (or running a wire through the braid as I later tried) I found that the effort didn't justify the end product.  so I opted for a simpler project that I still think satisfies the spirit of the project.  I just cut a stiffer bag into squares, twisted them from the center, and secured it by tying the twist with thread.  the result?  a simple, free, pretty way to redeem plastic bags.  I'm thinking about making a headband or garland (so much cheaper than crepe paper!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment